Stress, long hours, sugar, caffeine, lack of sleep, fizzy drinks, crew politics which drain and chip away at your emotions, high demands from above…does this sound familiar? On top of doing the wonderful job that yacht crew do comes the draw backs – which over time can cause all sorts of health related issues later on down the line. What I want to do is awaken your mind to how you can prevent long term ailments and issues from the list above whilst doing your job to the best of your ability.
The health and wellness industry is taking off and you are inundated with information that can be very confusing or just simply go straight over your head! As an ex-chief stew I am not naïve to the fact you are at the mercy of the food provided for you and surrounded by quick fix sugary, unhealthy snacks and drinks but at least if I can tell you a few of the facts you might cut back on a few or even give them up?
- Over 70% of the world’s coffee supply may be contaminated with toxic pesticides and chemicals. It’s estimated that just one cup of coffee contains thousands of chemicals, many of which are gastrointestinal irritants and cancer-causing agents.
- It appears that drinking coffee may interfere with your body’s ability to keep homocysteine and cholesterol levels in check, most likely by inhibiting the action of the vitamins folate, B12 or B6.
- “Greek researchers at Henry Dunant Hospital in Athens believe that one cup of coffee a day can increase the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. According to them, a cup of coffee will lead to a sharp increase of caffeine content in blood; harden the walls of the vessels, and raise blood pressure.”
- So maybe, just maybe if you are exceeding 2 coffees a day try and reign it in a little…
Sugar (Fructose – the baddie)
- There are no benefits whatsoever of consuming sugar, it speeds up the aging process
- Sugar effects your hormones, sleep, emotions and of course weight and causes countless issues for your body and mind
- Highly addictive – releases huge amounts of dopamine
- Fructose is different. Our bodies do not produce it in any significant amount and there is no physiological need for it.
- It is stored as FAT in your liver!
- One can of Coke, 12 ounces, contains 10 teaspoons of sugary goodness. That’s more sugar than two Frosted Pop Tarts with a Twinkie thrown in.
- To remove the negative effects of one can of Coke from your body you would have to drink around 37 glasses of water – this clearly is not viable – so if you are consuming on a daily basis you really are in trouble
- Do not be fooled by diet drinks either – they act as a depressant which in turn still alarms the body to store and hold onto extra fats from other sugars.
Carbohydrates white pasta, processed foods (crisps, biscuits, ice cream etc) –
- Again there is one ingredient known as sugar in all of the above! as well as corn fructose, E-numbers, preservatives and salts – all of which again deplete your system, causes mood swings, agitation, anxiety, bad skin, dark circles under the eyes, weight gain, headaches, and cause more cravings…
I am not syaing you should cut all of the above out I just want you to be more aware…
By the time your season is over you will of more than likely depleted your system of vital nutrients and minerals, lost weight or gained weight (depending on your body) and be running on reserves. The important part is to follow – for your body to recover you must rebalance it and re-nourish yourselves. It is important to remove toxin and chemical build up in your body to avoid becmoning ill due to a poor immune system. Your body will need to be ALKALISED! This simply means eating and drinking foods to neutralise your blood which runs at a neutral level…when you consume acid foods and drinks it knocks your body off kilter as well as your mind and emotions.When your bodies become acidic it leads to major problems…cancer, illness and disease cannot live in an alkaline environment…alkalising foods are:
- Wholesome natural seasonal organic/local produce
- Nuts, seeds & grains
- Specific fruits
- Healthy fats – nut oils, avocado oils, olive oils etc
- Lots of liquids – juices/smoothies/water/herbal teas
- Sprouted beans & seeds
The body can be alkalised in as little as 5 days – I recommend at least 7 days but everyone has different lifestyles to be taken into consideration. Is it time to find out more and undertake a RawCore Crew Cleanse?
Maybe next time you are in Carreforre doing the shopping for the crew reach for some of the healthier options! I believe some of these sugary snacks should come with a health warning just like cigarettes!
God luck and Alkalise to keep nasties at bay 🙂